Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I'm in print!

I received by copy of A day in the life on Monday, fresh off the press from the USA. "What's that?" I hear you say. Well, I can't say it better than the editors, so over to them:

Shontz, Priscilla K. and Richard A. Murray, editors. A Day in the Life: Career Options in Library and Information Science. Libraries Unlimited, 2007. 464 pages. ISBN 1591583640.

Table of contents, excerpts, contributor information, and more at
http://www.liscareer.com/dil.htm.

Many people, not just those new to the field of library and information science, are curious about their career options. The editors of LIScareer.com have assembled 95 authors, each of whom describes a "typical" workday or work routine, sharing joys, sorrows, and annoyances in refreshingly candid fashion. In the process, they offer those interested in finding a similar job exposure to useful skills and advice across a wide variety of traditional and nontraditional jobs. In addition to public, academic, school, and special libraries, consortia, associations, LIS programs, vendors, publishing, consulting, and other non-library fields are also covered. This is a perfect guide for library and information science students, prospective information professionals, new librarians-or anyone considering a career change.


Well golly, don't that just sound like the perfect thing for all library types pondering which of the many and varied types of organisations they could work in (or create for themselves). Little ol' me got the first chapter in the Special Libraries section, which is pretty exciting, even if it is about a job I no longer do.

I know this is blatant self promotion, but I figure it will be a while until I get this opportunity again. I love writing, and I loved writing that chapter, but I don't know enough about my new job to write anything other than this blog, and I can't really write about the old job anymore. So milk it I shall.

No comments: