Sunday, May 13, 2007

Why there was a gap in postings


I did warn you - last weekend was the Latvian wedding. If you ever get the opportunity to go to a Latvian wedding, do not let it pass you by. That was possibly the best party I have ever been to.


The picture shows a lovely lad by the name of Talis (my sincere apologies if I've misspelt that) and his contribution to the wedding feast - this 230 litre cask was full of his home brew ale which was the best beer I have ever tasted. I believe the cask was empty by 10:30. But don't worry - there were other provisions. We certainly didn't go without!


The rituals associated with the wedding were fantastic - my understanding is that the bride and groom, having done the paper signing at the registry the day before, were free to pick whichever bits they wanted out of a wide range of rituals. The traditional kidnapping and subsequent ransoming of the bride was amongst the most charming. She was worth a bottle of whiskey and a pack of cigarettes.


I get to put a tag on this for Latvians, cos I've been invited to the Summer Solstice festivities in June (obviously it's a northern hemisphere thing), which I promise to at least make mention of so that I can have two whole entries about Latvians!


Tonight is the night of nights, when the best Europe comes out to play. I'm talking, of course, about the Eurovision Song Contest! I would link to the website, but I'm avoiding it so I don't accidentally find out who won. I saw the Latvian entry in the preliminaries last night, and was pleased to see them get through - I don't think they'll win, but at least the boys can sing. Oh, it's a fun night ahead! The biggest question is whether any of the acts can match the lyrical poetry of last year's winners Lordi, who included such lines as "the day of rockoning" and "it's the arockalypse". Teehee!

2 comments:

snail said...

Sounds absolutely bril. Oh bugger, I missed Eurovision :(

Andrew said...

I loved the Ukrainian entry in Eurovision - he looked like the lovechild of the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz and Mrs Doubtfire.