Sunday, September 09, 2007

A few of my favourite things

It occurs to me that I've not actually written much in this blog about temping - ostensibly what the blog's meant to be about. So, based on hardly any experience at all (when has that ever stopped me?) here are some of my favourite things about temping:

I'm not the most responsible person in the room. It is not my responsibility to find solutions to major problems facing my current place of work. It is my responsibility to do the job I'm being paid for, do it well, and if I have any suggestions, great. But those long term problems that every workplace has? Not my responsibility.

I don't have to play pretend. I don't have to pretend like I will be around in 5 years time. I don't have to hide the fact that I'm looking for other work. And I don't have to hide the fact that I don't want to work somewhere on a permanent basis. My contract has an end date and we're all happy with that.

I get to be more flexible. This is the comment that I'll probably regret when I'm not quite so green and naive, but so far despite the lack of paid leave it's been easier to get time off when I need it. Perhaps it's something about the fact that they're not having to pay me when I'm not there. Perhaps it's to do with the workload in this particular role. And perhaps it's the very simple infrastructure in place that allows me to be paid only for the hours I work, which means that if I want time off, I just don't get paid - we don't have to faff around with accrued leave and time in lieu.

I get to learn new things. Again, possibly one of those things I"ll get really sick of, but I feel like I'm learning more now than I have in a long time. And they're not earth-shattering skills - just new things, new resources, new procedures, new people that one has to find ways of working with. I'm finding it very refreshing, and I'm already looking forward to the next new place with all it's idiosyncrasies.

For some time I've been considering undertaking further study - specifically, and MBA. I'm going to a Postgraduate and MBA Expo on Tuesday where I get to speak to a whole room full of suppliers, which I'm hoping will help me make the decision of whether this would be a smart choice or a waste of substantial amounts of time and money.

No comments: