Sunday, October 14, 2007

What chapter are we up to?

I feel like giggling, I'm so excited!

I got me a new job! A good one!

This has been an interesting year - and it's not over yet. At the beginning of the year I had a plan for how it was going to go. I was going to leave my wonderful but limiting stale job, and move into a larger library. I was going to take a step sideways to create more opportunities. By the end of the year I was going to be established in the new job.

As you loyal readers know, it didn't quite turn out that way. The last six months have been hard and confusing and depressing. I've tried very hard to keep up the "throw plans to the wind, see what life brings me" attitude but at heart I'm a compulsive planner, and it was bugging me that I wasn't in a position to contribute in significant ways to my workplace.

The new job I'm starting (on Monday - this all happened very quickly) will be hard. It's a small team, but what looks like a good one. It's a subject matter that I'm not well versed in - so yay, I get to learn heaps of new things! The library that has undergone, and is still undergoing, a lot of change, and I love those kinds of places. I'm going to have to do things that I don't know how to do, and that gets me all excited. Plus, there's the little things that can actually be big things - it's back in the CBD, in new offices, with natural light and (I hope) working air conditioning. If the computer network is reliable I'll believe I've hit the jackpot.

I'm hoping I can settle here. I really don't want to have a resume littered with stops and starts, and besides, I love building relationships and planning for the future and then being there to see it come true.

So, while starting a new job I'll also be trying to pack up my house - my partner and I having recently bought a house together. It's going to be a busy few weeks. On that note, try as I might, please forgive me if blog posting becomes a little less regular over the next month or two. Don't go away!

No comments: